In this 4-week-long live course with Luiza Jarovsky, you will learn about dark patterns, how they affect user privacy, and what can be done to avoid them. By exploring examples and the latest reports, legislations, case studies, and fines, you will be able to understand the impact that the product design has on privacy compliance, the regulatory background around it, and how to revert dark patterns in privacy into Privacy-Enhancing Design.
Format: The course involves four one-hour live sessions (one per week) and additional material that students can learn at home at their own pace. After each session, the students will receive selected slides in a shareable format so that they can spread their knowledge on social media. At the end of the course, the students will receive a certificate of completion.
Program goal: Learn to identify dark patterns and get familiar with Privacy-Enhancing Design, a framework that helps tech teams build interfaces, features, and products that respect user privacy. The course includes examples, recent cases/fines, and interactive discussions between the instructor and the participants.
A unique learning opportunity: The content is based on Luiza Jarovsky's research and advocacy against dark patterns in privacy and in favor of Privacy-Enhancing Design. All examples and cases discussed in the course are recent and relevant to existing challenges that you will encounter when dealing with privacy and product design/UX decisions. This course empowers tech and legal professionals with practical tools to identify dark patterns in privacy and revert them into user interfaces that respect user privacy, autonomy, and transparency.
Who is this course for?
- Tech professionals - especially product managers, designers, developers, and marketers;
- Privacy & compliance professionals;
- Week 1: Introduction, dark patterns and dark patterns in privacy
- Week 2: User vulnerabilities
- Week 3: Dark patterns and the law: reports, legislations, and fines
- Week 4: Privacy-Enhancing Design
Duration: 4 weekly live lessons of 45 min, followed by 15 min of Q&A. Additional 2 hours of self-learning materials every week.
- Live lessons: April 3, 10, 17 and 24, Mondays at 11am PT / 2pm ET / 7pm UK time (check the exact hour in your timezone).
- Recordings of each live session will be made available for a period of 2 weeks after the session.
- Important: If you want to join this course but the time does not suit you, please submit this form so that we can open a cohort that is suitable for you.
Discounts & exclusive cohorts:
- Groups of 5 or more co-workers or friends signing up for the course together will receive a 20% discount coupon each, get in touch to coordinate.
- For exclusive in-company cohorts (15+ people), contact us to coordinate and receive a discounted price.
Expense through your company:
- Employees: this course is just as valuable to your company as it is for you. For this reason, many employees expense their online courses to their company. For this, we have put together a model letter you can use with your manager. You will also get a payment receipt and a course certificate upon completion.
- Business owners and independent professionals: many people have been able to write off online courses as business/education expenses. Consult with your accountant or tax professional, we will be happy to assist you with the required documentation.
Form of payment:
In most countries, you can pay with PayPal as a guest (without creating a PayPal account). If PayPal does not work for you, write to us and we'll offer an alternative form of payment.
About your instructor:
Luiza Jarovsky has been dedicated to privacy research for the last seven years. She is also the CEO & co-founder of Implement Privacy and the author of The Privacy Whisperer, an independent privacy newsletter & podcast with more than 60,000 privacy supporters on various platforms.
In 2020, she was awarded by the President of Israel the "President's Scholarship for Excellence in Science and Innovation" for her Ph.D. research. In 2021, she received a Westin Scholar award from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Luiza's research about Dark Patterns in Privacy has been broadly shared online and was cited by the EU and the OECD reports on the topic.
Originally from Brazil, Luiza graduated in Law from the University of São Paulo, completed her Master's at Tel Aviv University, and is doing her Ph.D. there as well. She speaks English, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Hebrew and is a proud mother of 3.
Questions? Just write to us, and we will get back to you.